Afghanistan National Cricket Team
Cricket found its way into Afghanistan in the early 2000s, primarily through refugees who had been exposed to the sport in Pakistan. The Afghan refugees returning home brought cricket with them, laying the foundation for its growth in the country. Afghanistan became an Affiliate member of the ICC in 2001. They became Associate and Full members in 2013 and 2017, respectively. They are one of the most exciting cricket-playing nations right now.
Afghanistan’s cricket team quickly ascended the ranks in international cricket. Their performances in ICC World Twenty20 tournaments and ICC Cricket World Cups brought them recognition and respect for their talent and competitive spirit. In 2017, Afghanistan achieved a significant milestone by attaining Test status from the ICC, becoming the newest Test-playing nation. Their inaugural Test match against India in 2018 was a historic moment, symbolizing their journey to cricket’s highest level.
Afghanistan Team Record
Afghanistan’s cricket history is a swift ascent, with a relatively young squad rising to the pinnacle of the sport very rapidly. A generation of aspiring cricket players is inspired by the nation’s ardor for the game and the team’s talent and tenacity as they continue to make considerable progress.
· Afghanistan has been a Test-playing nation since 2017. Since then, they have played 7 Tests. They came out victorious three times while losing the other four games.
· In One-Day Internationals, they have played 161 matches. They have won 77 games and lost 79 games. Four games had no result, and one game was a tie.
· Afghanistan has an impressive record in T20-Internationals. They have won 74 out of 118 games while losing 42 games so far. One match was a tie, and one ended in a no-contest.
Performance in ICC Events
Afghanistan has participated in 3 ICC Cricket World Cups and many T20 World Cups so far. Here are their performances.
· In the World Cup 2015, they won only one of their six games, and their journey ended in the group stage. The 2019 World Cup journey was not great for Afghanistan. They lost all their matches. Things changed a lot until the 2023 World Cup. Afghanistan entered the contest with a good team. Even though they didn’t go beyond the group stage, it was an impressive campaign. They defeated bigger teams like England and Pakistan and won 4 out of 9 games.
· Afghanistan took part in 6 T20 World Cups so far. In the 2010, 2012 and 2014 World Cups, the Afghan team was eliminated from Round 1. In 2016, they made it to the Super 10 by winning 4 out of 7 games. In 2021 and 2022, they didn’t go above the Super 12 stage.
Afghanistan has taken a high route in world cricket in just one decade and has produced many stars. The top players of Afghanistan are Muhammad Nabi, Rashid Khan, Mohammad Shahzad, Hamid Hassan, Shapoor Zadran, Dawlat Zadran, Asghar Afghan, Rahmat Shah, Rahmanullah Gurbaz, Mujeeb ur Rahman, Naveen ul Haq, Hashmatullah Shahidi, Gulbadin Naib, and Najibullah Zadran.
- Muhammad Nabi is the top run scorer of Afghanistan with 5066 runs. Muhammad Shahzad is the 2nd best player with 4844 runs.
- Rashid Khan is the best bowler in Afghanistan, with 345. Muhammad Nabi is the 2nd best bowler with 257wickets.
- Rashid Khan, Mujeeb Ur Rahman, and Muhammad Nabi are global stars in all T20 leagues.