Bangladesh National Cricket Team
Cricket arrived in Bangladesh during the colonial era when it was part of British India. However, the sport blossomed in the late 20th century, gaining popularity among the masses. In 1977, the Bangladesh Cricket Control Board (BCCB) was formed, marking the formal entry of Bangladesh into the international cricketing arena. In 2000, Bangladesh was granted Test status, marking a significant moment in the country’s cricketing history. The inaugural Test match against India showcased the country’s aspirations in the cricketing world.
The initial years in Test cricket were challenging for Bangladesh, marked by tough defeats. However, the team showcased moments of promise and talent. The turning point came in 2005 when Bangladesh secured their first-ever Test victory against Zimbabwe. This win marked a new chapter in the team’s evolution and instilled confidence in their abilities.
Bangladesh Team Performance
Bangladesh’s cricketing journey is not just about matches and statistics; it’s a story of a nation’s perseverance, the passion of its people, and the unwavering spirit to excel in the sport. The team has been doing great in the last few years.
- Bangladesh played 138 Test matches so far. The team could only win 18 games and lost 102 matches. The number of drawn tests is also 18. The win percentage of Bangladesh is 13.04.
- Bangladesh played 426 games in the ODI format. The team won 155 ODIs and lost 262 matches. The no-result ODI matches are 10. The overall win percentage of the Bangladesh Cricket team is 37.25.
- Bangladesh has taken part in 149 T20 games. The team won 54 matches and lost 92. The matches with no results are 3. The win percentage of Bangladesh is 36.98.
Performance in ICC Events
Bangladesh team has been playing in ICC World Cups since 1999. The team did not have the top performances in the events. But, it had some of the great upsets in the World Cups. The other ICC Events also marked some great moments in Bangladesh cricket.
- Bangladesh played all ODI World Cups from 1999 to now. The team reached the quarter-finals in 2015 and had eight matches in 2007.
- Bangladesh has never been in the knockout stage of the T20 World Cup.
- Bangladesh reached the top 4 in the ICC Champions Trophy in 2017. In all other tournaments, there was no significant performance from Bangladesh.
- Bangladesh remained in the 9th position in both ICC Test Championships.
Bangladeshi players have started gaining some limelight after the recent T20 league emerged worldwide. However, the country has produced some fine players in the past. The top players from Bangladesh are Akram Khan, Kazi Shahadat Hossain, Khalid Mashud, Habibul Bashar, Mohammad Rafique, Muhammad Ashraful, Abdul Razzak, Mashrafe Mortaza, Tamim Iqbal, Shakib al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah, Rubel Hossain.
- Tamim Iqbal is the highest run scorer of the Bangladesh team, with 15192 runs in all three formats of the game. Mushfiqur Rahim is the 2nd highest run-getter with 14640 runs.
- Shakib al Hasan is the team’s best bowler, with 690 wickets in all formats of cricket. Mashrafe Mortaza is the 2nd best bowler in the team with 389 wickets.
- Mashrafe Mortaza is the best Captain of the Bangladesh team, with almost 60 percent of match victories.