Sri Lanka National Cricket Team
Sri Lanka gained Test status in 1982, marking a significant milestone in their cricketing journey. Sri Lanka continues to produce cricketing talents and faces new challenges; the spirit of the game remains undiminished. The history of Sri Lankan cricket is not just about victories on the field; it’s a narrative of a nation’s journey, triumphs, struggles, and the unwavering spirit that defines the essence of Sri Lankan cricket.
Despite challenges, Sri Lankan cricket remains a source of pride for the nation. The passion for the sport transcends ethnic and cultural divides, uniting the people under the banner of cricket. The local cricketing scene, from the bustling streets to the rural fields, reflects the nation’s love affair with the game.
Sri Lanka Team Records
The Sri Lankan team has often been regarded as having the most potential. These records not only showcase the individual brilliance of Sri Lankan cricketers but also reflect the team’s collective spirit and determination.
- Sri Lanka played 313 tests so far. The team won exactly 100 test matches and lost 121. The total drawn test matches are 92. The win percentage of the Sri Lankan team is 31.94.
- Sri Lanka played 905 ODI matches so far. The team won 414 ODIs and lost 446 matches. The No result matches are 39, and tied games are 5. The overall win percentage is 48.15.
- Sri Lanka has taken part in 179 T20 games. The team won 79 matches and lost 94. The total number of tied and no result games are 4 and 2. The win percentage of Sri Lanka is 45.76.
Records in ICC Tournaments
The Sri Lankan team performed well in ICC Tournaments. It is one of the teams that always did well in the ICC tournaments, no matter how they performed in the bilateral series. The team once won all three major ICC Tournaments in their cricketing journey. Here is their performance review.
- The Sri Lankan team won the ICC ODI World Cup in 1996. The team played in the finals of the 2007 and 2011 World Cups. The team played in the semi-final of the 2003 World Cup.
- Sri Lanka won the T20 World Cup in 2014. The team remained runner-up in the 2009 and 2012 editions and played the semi-final in 2010.
- Sri Lanka won the 2002 ICC Champions Trophy Tournament. The team remained in the top 4 positions in the 1998 and 2013 tournaments.
- The Sri Lankan team took the 7th and 5th spots in the ICC World Test Championships.
The Sri Lankan team produced many amazing batters and spin bowlers worldwide. The fast bowling section also has a few big names, but their batting and spin bowling options are countless. The top players from Sri Lanka are Arjuna Ranatunga, Aravinda de Silva, Roshan Mahanama, Marvan Atapattu, Sanath Jayasuriya, Romesh Kaluwitharana, Kumar Dharmasena, Chaminda Vaas, Muttiah Muralitharan, Mahela Jayawardene, Kumar Sangakkara, Tilkaratane Dilshan, Lasith Malinga, Rangana Herath, Ajantha Mendis, Angelo Mathews, and Wanindu Hasaranga.
- Kumar Sangakkara is the top runs scorer of the Sri Lankan team in all formats with 27757 runs. Mahela Jayawardene scored 25688 runs for the Sri Lankan team.
- Muttaiah Muralitharan is the top wicket-taker in the whole world. He took 1331 international wickets. Chaminda Vaas is the 2nd on the list for Sri Lanka with 760.
- Arjuna Ranatunga won the 1996 World Cup as Captain of the team. Sanath Jayasuriya won the Champions Trophy for Sri Lanka in 2002. Lasith Malinga was the captain of Sri Lanka when they won the 2014 T20 World Cup.